I have made quite a reputation for myself around the BBQ circuits with this macaroni salad. Its a recipe that im pretty sure my mom came up with but there may be some dispute about its origins.
I stay out of such matters. All i know is that it is how i make friends.
- Jennifer Landry
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 4-5 stalks celery chopped
- 1c. mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (regular white wine vinegar will do)
- 2 cans chunk light tuna in water
- 1 small red onion chopped fine
- salt and pepper to taste
- cook pasta until tender (dont make it al dente because when its cold it will be gross)
- drain and rinse pasta and set aside to cool
- when pasta is cooled add mayo, celery, onion, tuna and vinegar. mix well
- add salt and pepper.
Since the pasta sucks up the liquids and oils over time, its best to set the mixed salad in the fridge for at least and hour and test it. It may need a bit more mayo, vinegar and/or salt.
You want to be able to taste the vinegar a little bit but it shouldn’t be overwhelming. It really is the highlight of the dish.